braised short ribs
- 6 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
- Flour to dredge meat
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, chopped
- 2 cups yellow onions, 1/4 inch diced
- 2 cups celery, 1/4 inch diced
- 2 cups carrots peeled, 1/4 inch diced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 oz red wine
- 12 oz white wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 24 oz tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- Kosher salt & ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut short ribs into six equal portions. Season with salt and pepper and lightly dredge in flour. Heat oil in a braising pan to medium heat. Place short ribs into pan and sear evenly. Remove from pan and reserve. Add all vegetables and sauté until lightly caramelized. Add tomato paste and incorporate, careful not to burn. Deglaze with red and white wine. Add all herbs, diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, beef and chicken stocks. Bring to a boil.
Place short ribs in pan and cover; place in oven. Cook for about 90 minutes. Remove from oven and turn short ribs once. Return to oven for another 90 minutes.
Remove short ribs from pan and keep warm. Bring sauce to a boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with fresh vegetables and gorgonzola polenta. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.